Three D Guns 2 Challenge: Tommygun
Hello there! As you can probably tell...I'm new here so a brief introduction might be an idea:
I'm Maikel, 27 years old guy from The Netherlands, graduated as a game artist few years back and currently working as a 3D designer @ Electude.
I decided to create a Thompson for the Challenge. Not only because of it's fantastic look, but also because it's quite legendary with some serious history behind it. Some of you might also know this gun as the "Chicago Typewriter", this nickname is related to the events that happened back in ~1920's - 1930's when criminals such as the gang of Al Capone used this weapon. Of course, it was also used by lawmen and military.
Instead of creating a scene where I would show the gun as it is, I wanted to recreate some sort of field-strip scene. A partially disassembled Tommygun on a desk with a newspaper to cover the desk a bit. I also added a cigar to it, as Al Capone often smoked these I thought it might add a subtle hint to the potential user of the gun. Last but not least: Taking care of your gun makes sure that it works, so I added a small photoframe with a quote from our friend Preston Garvey (Fallout4), as this quote really sells the message that I would like to tell with this render. Big kudos to the person at Beteshda who came up with it 🙂
Here are some screenshots, an early 3Ds Max render of the Tommygun and a preview of the composition I want to go for.
Of course, the composition is not final, chances are that I will shuffle a bit later down the road 😉
Hey there! Pretty much a week further, I managed to do some new things fortunately. Even though I have some days off, I struggle to find a lot of time to work on this, quite some other things that have to be done. Either way...quick update:
First few objects have been converted to a highpoly mesh, with exception of the smaller details which I will add in Substance Painter (stamp in the details).
I also did some tests...as my time is limited I probably won't have time to create a lowpoly & unwrap everything super optimized like I usually prefer to do, so I will do something experimental: I know it's possible to texture a highpoly model as well, but it may be a stresstest for my not-so-strong-setup haha.
Marmoset render of current highpoly parts + a screenshot of the overall highpoly process as a wireframe in 3Ds Max (yellow = done).
Turned the Turbosmooth to isoline display to avoid having a massive bundle of lines ^^
New update finally after some very busy days...my job & other things in life are keeping me occupied...and lately plans were changed a lot in terms of how to spend the free time. I managed to complete the highpoly models, here is a quick update of the Tommygun itself. Also the environment models are highpoly in the meanwhile.
I need to unwrap everything in order to add some neat materials to it, that would be the next step; Starting tomorrow. Will post a new update once I have everything baked & applied some basic materials of the overall scene 🙂
New update: Now that the unwrapping & baking stage is (finally) finished, I'm good to go with the textures 🙂
As mentioned before, I didn't have the time to create a lowpoly models so...I went ahead with something experimental and found a way to texture my highpoly models, even though my system setup is not really that fast/good...yet 😉 Fixed it by seperating several parts into multiple FBX's & Texturesets, which works fine.
So here's what it looks like with some base materials applied, just to indicate what the overall material would be. You will notice that I didn't like the photoframe, the composition & light setup will definitely be adjusted. Few more extra's will be added so that will have influence on the composition as well...
I already made some notes to myself; Such as adjusting the glass materials, right now the objects look like they are floating...and well the other things are already mentioned above. Let's dive into the fun part of texturing, as well! 🙂
New update; Added a few more things such as the newspapers below (to provide some cover for the dirty stuff; Keeps the desk clean). Also the Black-hand letter/card has been added, which is part of the storytelling element of my render (the gangsters used these cards back in the days as a method of extortion).
Still not the final composition and materials...I hope I can get the materials done in time; Same goes for the final composition. Tomorrow after work I hope to make some more progress on that!
I justed submitted my work, so...I guess I can post it here now as well 🙂
This was my last evening (well..night actually at the moment) that I could work on this. It was a challenge to find little bits of time in a very busy schedule,
but it was a blast to work on this project!
Good luck to everyone! 🙂