Survival Car Challenge 2018 - Rocket Racer

Notifications
Clear all

Skate3D
(@skate3d)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone! I've been wanting to join one of these vehicle render challenges for a fair bit, and I finally feel like I have the time and skill to give it a real good go! I'll keep my story/theme quiet for now (as I am not even 100% set on it myself) but for this project I will be building a vehicle that would be a successor of a concept I created at the end of last year.

I will be creating my vehicle and environment in 3Ds Max, Substance suite, and Unreal Engine 4, here is my moodboard / concept, and first weeks progress!

Skate3D
(@skate3d)
Topic starter  

Finished up most of the body high poly, going to retopo the parts I have while figuring out what I'm doing with the rear axle and wheels!

ReplyQuote
JackWeller
(@jackweller)

Great 3d designs!

Skate3D reacted
ReplyQuote
Skate3D
(@skate3d)
Topic starter  

This week I have reworked the rear engine - to be a bit more like a realistic engine, and built the majority of the wheels and tyres. I have also been retopologising some of the main body parts, I'm hoping to have the majority of things ready for texturing next week!

Serhii reacted
ReplyQuote
Skate3D
(@skate3d)
Topic starter  

I retopoed and unwrapped all the parts I am happy with, so the majority of the body is now ready for texturing! I still need to finalize the rear and the wheels as I am not 100% set on the design. I also did a quick test bake and it's pretty good for the first go (whole body baked at 2k in Painter)

Hopefully I'll be close to completion with the vehicle next week!

Serhii reacted
ReplyQuote
Skate3D
(@skate3d)
Topic starter  

Getting pretty close now... not in a good way aha! So, with a day left, I'll have to call it on the car as I still have the environment to do, so unfortunately I won't have this finished to the standard I wanted. However I did start late, so to almost complete a vehicle in a month while at work and uni is a massive achievement for myself. I'll get done what I can for the environment, but this will still be a work in progress after submission unfortunately, but there was no point rushing, I'd rather take the time to make this a better portfolio piece!

I do however now have a better idea of my story, so rather than going for that scorched desert, I went for a cool frozen world, also to contrast my original piece which was very much a warm colour pallet.

So, here's where I'm at, with... one evening left... Car is unwrapped, retopologised and textured, I didn't finish the engine or rear components since there will only be one shot for the entry, so as with the environment, I will be finishing this off in the next few weeks, as for the submission, I'll just have to see what I get done, but main thing is the vehicle, right?! =)

ReplyQuote
Abulfetouh
(@abulfetouh)
Eminent Member

Knida Mad Max movie vehicle 😉 Nice

ReplyQuote