Space Rover 3D Competition: Aristaeus Project
About 3 weeks ago I made a little blockout of the scene just to get the mood of what I'm about to do. Instead of creating just another 'vehicle' with wheels and stuff I had the idea of drawing inspiration from the animal kingdom and more specifically from the bee community.
The main idea for the project was creating shift and energy efficient drones that could gather information to the base (the Hive) from where they would transmit it back to Earth while recharging.
Fast forward, today I FINALLY had the chance of working a little bit. I made some research for the art style and ended up with the beautifully stylized graphics of Overwatch. I also made the decision of creating all my assets and environment in Houdini because it's a great chance of getting to know the software. Although I'm probably going to render the final image in Marmoset Toolbag.
After all this, I had some work done with blocking and rigging my drone mesh in a way that I could see the final shape while working with the individual parts of the model. I'm already enjoying the Houdini procedural way of modeling and seriously consider ditching my Maya workflow for it. Although, with a 10-year experience, Maya is like second nature to me, Houdini feels more intuitive and I always loved non-destructive ways of creating stuff.
Tomorrow I'm going for the high poly mesh and hopefully finish it. At least for the most part :·)