Car Render Challenge - Mini Cooper S
Hi! This is my first take on the Car Challenge and I’m really excited to share with you my progress and WIP
I did all the modeling in Blender. First, I tackled the base car structure.
Then I added the secondary base parts, roof, windows, windshields, lights and side details.
My plan was to create the base Mini Cooper, as the one you drive around the city and then adding the rally details.
To complete the modeling I added the tires and wheels:
Once the modeling stage was completed I moved to the next stage, texturing. I created a bunch of materials on Blender to separate each part of the model, this way I was preparing the model to be textured on Substance Painter.
Then I exported all the objects to Substance Painter.
I used a common workflow in Substance, first set the base material and start laying on top of it layers of dust, mud and imperfections to enhance both the rally look and the realism. The numbers in the doors and hood were hand painted.
I used Clip Studio Paint to create the alphas for the rally board on the roof, the emblem and the front lights cover.
Once all the texturing process was completed, I exported all the textures back to Blender and plugged them into the object using the Node Wrangler add-on and the Principled BSDF Shader.
Here is a texture test render from Blender.
It was the time to start working on the environment. I created a fairly simple environment since I was inspired by an original photo from the rally.
I used two planes, one will be the background and the other one, the ground. For the ground I deform it a little using proportional editing.
To speed up the process I export it, again, to Substance Painter. I used the same texturing workflow as the car.
I set up the car and the environment to create a sense that the car is turning.
I set up the camera and for lighting I used a HDRI from HDRI Haven.
Here are a couple of test renders I did. Testing mainly light color.
As a placeholder I’m using a race driver model by tomkart from Sketchfab under CC Attribution License. I removed the visor from the helmet and added color to both the helmet and skin. I will be testing MakeHuman to the final render.
I had to add a snow splash from the tires, I created a plane on Blender and export it to Susbtance Painter, using the PBR-with-alpha-blending shader I painted the snow and the opacity, being able to hand paint where the snow goes.
Here is where I'm now. I'm planning to do the final render soon and then add a little bit of blur and labels in the image using Clip Studio Paint.