Notifications
Clear all

Car Render Challenge 2020 Sci-Fi Police Car

Page 1 / 2

jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here is a small creation journal of my entry for the Hum3D Car Render Challenge 2020.

As per usual, I started with researching and looking for ideas.

Pinterest is a great place to start

With recent adaptations of Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell in mind and also high hopes for release of Cyberpunk 2077 I settled on a sci-fi vehicle.

Something that would drive in not so distant, dystopian future with the mandatory inclusion of retrofuturistic, 80s aesthetic (yej yej a bit cliche but whatever)

jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I took the most direct inspiration from no doubt, iconic DeLorean DMC-12

I also had in mind a bit of light armor and general rough look of the militarized police vehicle.

The look which I think is well captured on this concept: https://www.artstation.com/peter6409

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When I had abase model of a car I started to think about the scen.

Dark, rainy atmospheric background of city with skyscrapers a neons was the first thing that popped in to my mind and something that I was able to put together quickly thanks to the fact that I had some props from unfinished scene in similar vibe that i was working on some time ago 😛

I made few simple buildings and neon advertisements that are mostly just simple planes with emmisive textures made from photos like those:

This tutorial by Ian Huber also came in handy:

If you are a Blender user checking out this guys tips and general work are a must.

I did some test renders and started iterative work on both car and scene models.

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I actually created the interior later on in the process. I wasn't sure if I am going to make one at all. But the opened up doors that allow for a look inside seemed like a cool idea.

The interior was in a big part based on a Mitsubishi Starion

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When I was fairly satisfied with both interior and exterior of the car I moved on to unwrapping and Texturing.

Initially I thought about clean, white or black paint job, but after some testing I found out I really like combination of silver paint with black bottom that kinda imitates the Japanese police car.

At this point I also already decided on blue tinted windows and some normal map raindrops on the car

I have done some more test renders this time with added textures

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

and now to the character

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Again the main inspiration was taken from Ghost in the Shell and a few other concepts similar to the Major Motoko Kusanagi.

I’ve gathered few base meshes of characters that were available online and begun kitbashing a futuristic police officer.

When the model was ready, to speed up the process I auto unwrapped it with substance painter and rigged using mixamo.

With UV maps and rig ready I started Texturing. I created a few variations of dark, creased fabric on tactical gear and glossy latex covering the body. I took some more time to make the headgear feel heavy and slightly roughed up with metal visible on the edges.

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Some more testing with half made textures. At the beginning I was considering red glowing eyes, but the look was a bit too menacing.

At this point I also realised that the ultra wide aspect ratio will not go so well with the presentation of this vehicle and begun cutting stuff down towards the middle of the frame.

One of the last things to texture was the screen at the back of the car.

I made the taillights a bit in style of the vaporwave/synthwave setting sun
And licence plate a bit of homage to the Blade Runners ones

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
Lastly, I narrowed down framing even more so the car took up almost whole picture, optimised stuff so the render met the size requirements and et voilà! Here is my Render for this year's competition.

ReplyQuote
jeandiz
(@jeandiz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I also did the mandatory clay render of the scene.

Here I think I also need to give a credit to the sketchfab user named Bobeer as the carbine visible in the render is his creation that he shared under CC BY 4.0 licence. I also used various other models in planing out the scene or kitbashing parts of the character. Special thanks also go to the creator of HDRIHeaven, from where I obtained this HDRI https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=night&h=shanghai_bund.
Many textures in the scene were made from assets available on https://cc0textures.com/   and  https://www.cgbookcase.com/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2