Clear all

Car Render Challenge 2019: a gorgeous Italian in Texas

Page 3 / 4

MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello again,

I've not being sitting still in the meantime and I've got to say, I have this idea to try to draw as easy as possible and I thought I found the solution, I fell down really hard. I also kinda lost a lot of time trying, but that is okay. This way, I learned to know my weaknesses. So this is what I learned so far in my journey to try drawing spot on.

Before I clarify myself to my problem, I've to emphasize that I'v got an immense problem with cars manufactured estimated between the 50's and the 70's, that have perfectly round head and tail lights, with actual designer blueprints of that time that are not quite accurate on all sides. They were hand drawn and with our 3D methods, it leaves a lot to be desired. I found prove in duplicating this car in 3D that eventually the production of the car were quite different. 

But that is okay, cause the designer did an amazing job manufacturing this one of the most beautiful cars in the world. To note, she was handcrafted. 

So I thought, I figured everything out, scaling, moving and rotating the bold fenders around the head and tail lights, I thought I had the solution and I came up with this.

And when this didn't work out, I tried a new strategy and came to this.
By this time I came to realize, I lack the experience to continue on this car and by then, as a beginner having only a month left to deliver my complete design for the challenge deadline, I have re-evaluated my position and I have decided to put this model in the fridge, not the freezer, going for another model with probably the same issues I've trying to conquer, but quite more easily for me.

So I've to let you all know, for the first time, the title of this topic is off, cause I'm trying to recreate a German car. I'm having 26 days to complete this challenge and I figured, for me, anxious to learn of my mistakes, seeing possibilities in ways I could use Blender 2.79 in my advantage, but these are not there, knowing Blender 2.80 is out, my current computer cannot use it, I deal with the situation and even though, the hand drawn blueprints of this model have sincere issues as well, I think and I hope I can work with this. 

This was not quite my goal, I intended to design a car that was not on Hum3D so far, letting you know she is, also letting you know, this model for me was quite accurate, let me say 80% accurate, I feel the need to make a better, more accurate design. Because in my honest opinion, by that time, he or she was a beginner too. this model on Hum3D is way to clean. He/she missed the lines I'm trying to improve. 

So her is my result so far. Again, I took my references of clean hand drawn 2 sides blueprints, I'm on it. Because of these hand drawn blueprints, I've found issues, but this time, I've hope to try to make this model as accurate as can be. 

I'm still in the game, I know, seeing all the contests results, I will make no chance. You all have come up with so many amazing designs making me mouthwatering, for me, this challenge was a hit to try to get the most out of me with minimum resources and blueprints. I know, I'll stay behind, but this journey made me learn a huge lot.

Thank you so much for that. I truly enjoy other competitors designs, good luck to you all.

zzhn reacted
ReplyQuote
zzhn
 zzhn
(@zzhn)

Just do your best, that is all that matters...  In time we all get better at what we do  🙂

MyCGIChannel reacted
ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you so much. I'm not interested to win this contest, because I know the prices will not allow me to use the prices amazing software given, because of insufficient hardware at the moment, I could have chosen differently of my tactics. I've had already investigated new, modern cars with true accurate blueprints, I have decided to go for cars that were not already duplicated in 3D. 

I'm particularly in 60's and 70's cars and I thought they were doable for me to recreate, but during my journey, I discovered, I lack a lot of experience to accurately, in an easy way to draw those cars, because most of them have perfectly round lights and I failed to duplicate it in my own easy way to challenge this issue. I did a huge amount of research into this, I see the lines of the original hand drawn designs of the original designers, I just lack to recreate those cars in my own way. And I'm sure, I will fall numerous times before I will conquer my flaws, I agree with you, I might be halfway to solve all this issues I try to achieve in minimum effort, I learned so much so far, this challenge is making me to try to get the best out of me and I'm going for it.

I know where my flaws are and I'm trying to conquer these. To be short, I could have already designed a current time car, with perfectly computer made blueprints, they are so much easier then the older cars I try to duplicate in 3D,  I fall, I renegotiate with myself what the problem is and till now, I figured for myself, to make progress, I needed to step down and go further to develop myself. And I'm sure I will get there.

All my progress no previous attempts are saved. I have quite various cars in my agenda I'd like to finish and by the time I know the trick trying in my way, I will continue. And this is the goal for me. I'll keep posting after the challenge, I estimate now not being in time, I'll keep trying to get more experienced.

This all being said, I again have issues, accordingly the true hand draw blueprint, to go forward in my journey. And this is what it is all about for me and this challenge triggered me to try a little harder.

I hope to figure out my problem with hand drawn blueprints in a few days and I'd love to upload my progress. 

Thank you so much and I wish every contestant really the best. What I've seen so far, consider me toast. You all have done amazing jobs, (laughing) I can't compete, you have all created amazing designs, don't mind me, me feeling toast, you all have done an amazing job. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And now I'm on t again to try to figure out my problem I see in the original handcrafted blueprint of this car. Not if, but when I have solved this, the rest is a piece of cake. And this is where I'm going for, a perfect design of a momentarily 70's car. Make you feel surprised, I'm eager to finish this car within 22 days as a beginner 3D artist, knowing for myself, I was this accurate to the original model. 

An amazing job to all the contestants, you have all done an astonishing job, I love to see your end results. Good luck to all of you. 

zzhn reacted
ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everybody,

I've got the rest of the evening free to spent my time trying to make progress. I've been playing around with my drawing and I have not made a lot of profress so far, I've to say, I think I captured the model spot on. And I came to realize a few things. 

First, I spotted a flaw in my design that is kinda giving me figuratively headaches. I noticed when smoothing out the squares of my model, I see a huge flaw and knowing every step I did to avoid this, it is now there and to my believe, this should not have happened. I;m giving away the problem I see so far, first the unsmoothed design followed by the smoothed design with a red circle around the area that is not making sense to me.

I've decided though to keep this issue beside. Then for me, 2 new issues occur. First, te model I'm trying to replicate is already on the side of Hum3D and I would not be me, to get a slightly different design online at one time. To be short, I'm drawing the same car with extended fenders. I noticed, the sparse undetailed blueprints I found, do not match at all with the original hand drawn blueprints of the designer. So it seems a problem for me, I think, in the end, I can del with this.

Most importantly, the lack of experience so far, I figured out my problem and it comes to this. My believe is to reduce handlings by only stretching, scaling and eventually maybe rotating, I see my flaw now. I'm still not completely satisfied with the method to try to move top lines and squares to the side, in the last hour I came to conclusion, for me, now, this is not sufficient to make progress. So I'm going to use a new method and I will start with the sidelines and I will eventually connect them with the top lines, if this makes sense. And I think, this is the solution to the problem I was always facing.

But so far, I'm extremely happy with the progress I got so far, even it shows kinda minimum, I truly believe I captured the model as detailed as much in 3D. To note, also a point of interest, I've decided to first recreate the metal sheet of the body and accordingly make separate bumpers that eventually will be attached. So lots going on for me, I'll be back in a few days to show my progress.

And again, good luck to you all, I know I'm toast, so many amazing creations you've already shown, to note that is not my goal. I only wanna get beter learning from my mistakes and I refuse easy cars. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So far, I'm really satisfied and although I've not yet went beyond my knowledge in 3D drawing with Blender, I feel close to the solution of my problem with 3D modeling. This contest is making me try to get the most out of it and I'll try to insert myself as a candidate, I'm having major issues, my result so far for me is unbelievable, I can't find the right words, I've been triggered, not my goal, but I got tempted to explore myself to make me better.

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, 

I've been working on the car again and I encountered a few issues that stood in my way to achieve my goal too overcome my flaws in designing this car. I always save my progress and to let you know, I've been deleting 3 files, I came to the idea that I had one edge of the bonnet to much to extrude the lines according to the sides. And although I spent a few hours on this, I learned again a great deal. 

I've already deleted the files without making a screenshot, because I thought it was not adding new information, I believe that skipping one line will make the difference in my approach designing this car. You just have to take my word in it.

In the meantime, I started to develop the gas station, which location lies on the old route 66 in Texas, so I thought, I'll give you a quick preview. 

Not that much going on, nut the basic lines are there and they only have to be refined. This being said, I'm going to take my attention again to the car, I felt I was so close, just not enough to my standards and my way of drawing, I hope in a few days I can show you the complete car. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

Here is a quick update. I've did a little work on the rear panel of the car. I disconnected the panel from the rest of the body by duplicating the main line and hid the rest of the car.  I am really happy so far, but I did note that the low quality blueprint of the wide fender model leaves a lot to be desired. This means, I'll have to take real high resolution pictures of the car as reference.

Next time, I'll finish the front panel the same way as I did with the rear one. And then I'll adjust the fenders to be authentic with the real pictures. Because the edges are created, I think it is not a lot of time to do these adjustments. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

And another litte hour of progress and I was hoping to to finish the front fender as well, but for this I need to finish the light housing on top of the fender first, cause the widened fender is starting from there. a problem I would not have if I'd simply used to normal standard fenders. Till a next time.

FIRA and Serhii reacted
ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

With 16 days ahead to apply my design for to challenge I learned a lacked the experience to do so. And I will surprise myself if I can succeed, this challenge has made me speed up a little trying. But I learned so much of my attempt. I thpought it would be piece of cake, but was I so wrong.

I've learned where my weaknesses are. First of all, trying to make a low poly design to begin with, I'm too accurate. Then, from the start, I forgot to use the subdivision surface modifier, that I now know, could have make drawing a gazzileon times easier for me, but I've to acknowledge, it is kinda hard to work with in Blender. I just need to get used to it using Accordingly, partially due to my own problem to be being too picky, the blueprints online to be found nare considerable inaccurate and this is kinda driving me bananas, so I have to find a way for myself to work with those. 

So these are the 3 major flaws I need to work with or work around with, the most important thing I learned is, that every car needs a new approach of handling and I need to start of with the minimum amount of vertices and edges. The biggest challenge I'm dealing with right now is drawing the arches in the fenders, that end up in making triangles and I learned to avoid those. 

So I think I will not be in time for the deadline, I have committed myself to draw a perfect car and I will proceed in my own pace. When I'm not ready for the deadline, I will keep posting my progress till I have my unique replica done for this site. And this will be me reward. 

I'm going to take an hour of rest, debating with myself what I should do, I feel I'm close to answer my questions failing till now, I think I can do it and I feel I'm still in the race, even though, I think, I will show the final result weeks after the deadline. 

And now it is time for debating with myself, I'm going to stay put with the theme "a gorgeous Italian in Texas", like I said, I have tons of material on various Italian cars, I will post again in a few days. I will try to cover my progress in a gif picture. 

Good luck to you all, so many amazing designs I've seen, don't mind me feeling a little bit jealous. Keep up the good job you are all doing. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4