Car Render Challenge 2019: a gorgeous Italian in Texas

Page 1 / 4

MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

So nice to meet you and I'm happy to join the challenge. I'm happy to be on board this year. I'm not yet going to reveal what car I'm going to render, but after lots and lots of hours searching the internet for vehicles that have not been created probably because of the lack of sufficient references. I've decided to draw one of the most beautiful Italian sports cars in the world.

I wish everyone good luck, I've already seen so much potential here.

MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been doing a lot of research first, because I've got no top view blueprint of the car and I've spent hours finding one to no avail. So early on, the progress will be slow, cause I like to get the outlines right in a low poly model. But so far, here is what I got. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm using Blender 2.79 , since my hardware needs replacement and cannot run Blender 2.80. 

Serhii reacted
ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

I've not been idle this weekend and I have done a few activities in the hope to make my work moe accurate, since I'm lacking the top view of the car. So first, I contacted the manufacturer of the car in the hope to receive a more accurate blueprint of the car including the top view. I got a message back and I have been noticed to send in a new email to the classic department of the brand, which I've done. I just need to wait for a new answer now.

But in the meantime, considering the fact my question will not be fulfilled, I've spend another full day finding new hidden top view pictures. So here is what I came up with so far, not revealing the car yet, cause it might be fun for you to guess it. This Italian car had a predecessor and except of the base of the car, all body panels were newly designed. So my first intention was, to insert the top view of the predecessor car, but I've noticed that it was way to off. 

Then, the car had a much sportier sister, wider but also shorter then the car I'm drawing. After considerable a few hours, I've found a hidden top view of that car on the internet, so I loaded that picture in as a top view. This might work, I do feel the bonnet and the front wings are quite the same, and I am using this top view reference so far to make more progress. But to be honest, I still need guessing a lot of the dimensions, but I'm going to keep this as a better reference to make my car better and more accurate in case I'll not getting hold of a more a more accurate blueprint. 

So because I learn so much more by just keeping practicing, I'll keep moving forward even realizing, I'd probably start over again from scratch if I have the proper blueprints received. So here is the last screenshot of the 3D drawing I got so far. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'd love to address something: I had the idea the car I'm drawing was pretty easy to draw. A nineties sports car with quite some straight lines, piece of cake, I thought. But I have thought so wrong. 

First, I mentioned earlier that I'd like to draw her first low poly, but considering multiple thin straight lines will make me draw a mid poly car. If it was low poly, some lines would be considerately way off and will not do right of that model.

Second, I've seen a lot of tutorials according drawing a car in Blender and I've noticed I hate extruding separate single edges to match. I can't handle that to be honest and I've to let you know, that the car I'm going to render in particular, would lean for an amazing tutorial not extruding singles edges and squares, but complete lines. 

So what I figures out is, that if the roof line is okay, you can basically extrude it to the bonnet and then to the grille of the car, with not a lot of changes to be made. I use scale a lot, I extrude complete panels as much as I can and I was already deeply in love with this car, noticing all this, made me feel, this car is truly a masterpiece. I have a weak spot of Italian cars, but this model in articular, being in my eyes the second  most beautiful car in te world, has even deserved so much more credit, when I realized, although she is quite square, drawing her, make me believe, she is a truly magnificent design. 

So far I notice, the curve of the roof matches the front of the bonnet (only needed to be scaled on 2 axes) and I'm completely in love now. The Italian designer did a amazing job developing her.

I really have a lot of fun drawing her, I've to be honest, I'm not here to win, since my hardware would not meet and handle the prizes of this challenge, I just want to make a beautiful car as accurate as can be and having fun and learning a lot more of 3D drawing, since I've to learn so much more. But the fun factor is really high and I love this. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunately I have not been able to receive a top view blueprint of the car. The factory and classic car department were very quick and helpful in responding, but all they had was the 3 view blueprint that is on the web already. So I've decided to continue with all the research I've done so far. 

I've started to extrude the front wings, but I'm going to give it some rest again and check tomorrow if I can improve them to make them more accurate even without a top view picture. I think I have to check some real car pictures first to estimate if I'm going to right direction. But so far, I'm happy with the result.

Serhii reacted
ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello again,

For my previous car, I had such high expectations and I was quite determined to finish the result, but unfortunately for that car, a decent top view image or blueprint is necessary to make a decent 3D copy of her. So after a lot of debate, I've decided to stop developing her for this contest, but I'm keeping all the data I've gathered and created so far and maybe in the future I'll finish the specific car. The problem is partially to blame myself since I'm very accurate and I could not deal not seeing the mis section of the car, cause she has really big outstanding fenders. So she is going in the freezer for now.

But I've not been staying idle. I wanted to create an Italian car that Hum3D has not produced yet. So I've been doing a lot of research again. I ended up with a few models and after starting drawing all of them, I decided to continue with one. I've been lucky to have found the original blueprints of the designer and I'm having a try with her. I wanna keep it a secret for now what car she is, I've to admit, she is quite a challenge. But I'm having fun with it, I learn so much more new things while drawing her and even if I don't meet the end date of this challenge, I hope to finally reveal her on this forum. 

To note: the difficulty of this car is probably a reason why she is not drawn in 3D yet. But I'm quite determined to reveal her in time, so the image below is what I got so far. 

Good luck everyone, I've seen some amazing projects already. A really good job on that. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing along with Blender, I'd decided to go along from front to back and started to create the rear of the car, I do think I'm on the right track, but I'm still learning a lot and I'm enjoying it. 

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I noticed I wasn't finished completing the whole of the tail lights, so I made some adjustments to complete the form of the body towards the tail lights. And I'm very happy about it. The head lights are in a way similar, but not quite, considering the form of the body and the front fenders, this will be the biggest problem for me. But I'll solve the problem, even if I have to try 5 times. To note, I love extrude, scale and rotate, I try to reduce any manual adjustments just by moving  single vertices. And I think, I'm close

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to keep the progress for today. The way the head lights are designed into the body is kinda unique. So as the windshield, the roof and the back window. I spent the rest of my time tonight thinking and considering, how I'll be able to recreate this beauty without much effort. To let you know, I'm creating this car by real blueprints drawn by the designer in the 60's, I don't have to explain that they are quite wrong, but I'll try to adjust this beautiful car in the end by real photo references. This being said, I've gathered tons of photo evidence of the car and I've to admit, a lot of lines have to be changed to get accurate. But there is nothing wrong with that. This car was handcrafted, every single piece and I still admire the designer today.

ReplyQuote
MyCGIChannel
(@mycgichannel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4