2022 Flying Cars Contest - Project "Afterburner"
Well, it seems I'll be taking part for this competition.
I got multiple ideas for this cool flying theme, but the one I think I'm going for is inspired by the very well-known ZZ Top album cover "Afterburner"
It's not a direct take on that car, but it sure has something to do with hot-rods and rockets. For now I'll call it project afterburner, I imagined a drag-racing series for the future on rocket engines, with cars taking off vertically.
Thus, VDRA - Vertical Drag Racing Association is now born. 😉
Very rough and quick concept image to kick it off, and the original inspiration album cover.
Used the rough mock-up to put down some surfaces and masses.
It's a simple shape so body itself is probably easy, but getting it all to look realistic and creating enough of interesting detail will be a tougher challenge.
Also I'm still pondering how to get the "Drag racing" feel into it even more.
Anyway first 3d stuff kicked off.
Cut the panel gaps, added some details and thought about further how the whole thing would work.
I tried to learn a bit about how rocket engines work (I'm not a rocket scientist, duh!) to get some more authentic look. These are the first steps but at least it seems there's a chance to add a lot of interesting detail in the end.
Also took a while to think about the seating and controls inside, I think they'll be more like in a space rocket than car. But nothing really modeled or designed yet.
Added two ballistic parachute canisters on the back so the thing could land after a race. The other one is a spare just in case the first fails. 🙂
More work done, created a simple interior space, and some kind of a seat with joystick controls.
Opened the doors and created their insides - they are quite a hack but I don't want to spend too much time detailing those since they won't most likely be visible anywhere.
Some other cleaning up and detailing done all around.
Need to sort the front suspension and engine mounting/cut more panels next.
Again slow progress, but I'm still moving forward.
More details and parts in the main engines, made the main body "solid" with the rear wheel well, defined front suspension more, details and improved geometry here and there.
I need to move on to UV mapping and texturing soon, and try to find the basic rendering setup - I know all of that takes a lot of time.
Block-outs for the background city and test-rendering.
Created UV's for the engine and added some early textures, still needs a lot more work.
Tested with simple jet-blasts, they're just cones now with no real material yet.
Can't really see much of the interior, so all the work is bit of a waste in this camera-angle. I guess I need to try and bring some of it more visible.