2019 car challenge - 1957 Bel Air
I decided to convert the car from a hard top to an open convertible because I would like to be able to see a more of the driver. But that also meant I had to make more interior.
The car is able to render now, I still need so do some texture/shading work. There is some areas with noise textures that needs to be fixed, some areas that needs detailing/texturing, and there is some UV's gone wrong. You can see it these test renders.
I can show some more stuff for the scene besides the car.
Here is the driver, a classic 1957's man.
There are too much SSS and the skin is too shiny, so I have to work more on that.
I have been working on the background, and I have made an earth:
Some huge skill and time going in here. Good luck 🙂
Wow! That's impressive! What is going to be the final composition? A flyting Tesla roadster like image? 😀
Thanks dudes, I'm trying to do my best 🙂
I actually never gave the Tesla in space any attention, but after you mentioned it I have checked it out and I can see there will be certain similarities, but it is not my intention.
No final image yet, but I have a turntable I can show:
Nice one i like those old timers 😀 I am looking forward to your final image 😉
It is finally done.
Final images available here in glorious full res: https://www.artstation.com/darijos
-And it was fun, and I really re-discovered some 3D skills.
I want to thank all who participated, you have made cool ideas, awesome designs and beautiful images. It was fun to follow the progress.
A little details about the work and process:
When I modeled the car I tried to keep the polygon count reasonably low but still relying on modeled details instead using of displacement maps. But I'm relying very much on render time subdivision. The car is 432666 faces / 861794 tris at base level, but subdivided up to 5 times at render time.
The driver is sculpted and painted with Mudbox.
The earth is made with awesome textures kindly supplied by NASA.
The earth's atmosphere is made using poly spheres rendered as volumes with very high frequency displacement.
The light streaks is made from rendering a 100 frames animated motionblur sequence with a shutter time of 1 and combining that into one frame.
The stars are particles, 1600000 in a sphere around the earth and whole scene.
Textured and shaded with Arnold. It was actually quite fun to build shades, but I wish Arnold had more texture/pattern generators. But I'm impressed with how it is reasonably interactive to work with even on my old CPU.
All post is made in Nuke, and also some NASA texture prep.
I'm surprised of how much time I have spent on finding good reference. I used PureRef for the first time on this project, and that is an awesome and brilliantly useful tool.